Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Fives - Get Healthy!

Just Me and My Life
Wow, it has been a long time since I wrote last! I am sorry! I try really hard to keep up, but the last 2 weeks have been unbelievable. Work has been crazy, plus I had a girls' trip that was just so amazing! (I will post about it soon!)

Anyway, it is time for the Friday Fives again over at my friend, Beth's blog! Today's topic is 5 health tips. So, let me just put this out there before I begin! I am by no means an expert, nor do I always stick to my own advice. I do try, though and I guess that is what really counts!

1. Don't Smoke!!
Now folks, this should be pretty obvious! No offense to those of you who may still enjoy this habit, but come on!! How many warnings do they have to put out there to make it clear? Smoking WILL KILL YOU! Plus, the smoke can kill those around you who breathe it. That's no good. Not to mention the fact that when you smoke you walk around smelling like an ashtray.

2. Exercise
I know, this part is no fun. The good news is that you don't have to kill yourself or join an expensive gym just to stay healthy. All it takes is a few minutes a couple of times a week to improve your health. I like the walking track at our church gym. I try to go there and run or walk for 30 minutes when I can. We also have a nice greenway here in Nashville where I see lots of people out running, riding bikes, or walking their dog. You could even pick a set of stairs, maybe in your office building and run up and down them for 20-30 minutes. You will be surprised at how many calories you burn this way! Whatever you do, you just have to keep moving!

3. Drink Water
I had heard this one for years and never believed it. Then, a couple of years ago I tried drinking the amount of water that we are supposed to drink in a day. I was surprised at how full I felt. After a few days I began to crave it. Now I drink water all the time! It is wonderful for making you feel full, causing you to snack less.

4. Cut back your portions
A friend of mine told me about this one. She had joined one of those expensive diet centers. She said that 2 of the biggest tips they gave them was to drink lots of water and simply cut back the portions. It seems like we have all gotten accustomed to those "super size" portions we are served in most restaurants. The more we eat large amounts at a time, the more hungry we become. So, if you can begin cutting back on the amount you eat at each meal and supplementing with water you will eventually find yourself able to eat smaller portions. Not only will this make you more healthy, but you will probably lose weight too!

5. Fruits and Veggies
Everyone can find at least one fruit and vegetable that they like, or can tolerate. You don't have to make a whole meal out of it, but we should all try to incorporate fruits and veggies into our meals. At our house it's broccoli! Yes, we all LOVE broccoli, even my kids. I fill up one of those steamer bags with broccoli and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Yum! It comes out perfect! Add a dash of salt and the kids gobble it right up. You can do this with so many different veggies, depending on which ones you like! My kids also love apples. I will slice an apple and apply a little peanut butter for a snack. They get so excited! It's healthy and it fills them up enough that they aren't snacking on junk before dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment