Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow globes and Resolutions...


Ok, so the kids have been out for 2 days now due to our "snow", which in Nashville just means it is really, really cold and we had a few flurries. We went out yesterday for a few minutes so the kids could play in what little snow we had, mostly on the sidewalk, despite the fact that going out in below freezing weather was the last thing I wanted to do! It was pretty entertaining I have to say, when they decided to get on the trampoline. Every time they jumped they looked as if they were inside one of those snow globes you shake up. They came out looking like snowmen, covered from head to toe. (Please forgive the grainy photo, I had to use my phone.....)

So, amidst my complaining that it was way too cold, with too little snow for playing I realized that they didn't care how little there was they were just happy to be out in it. It was then that I realized I had not really made any true "New Year Resolutions" and this was a good one!
I decided there were probably lots of things I could do better in 2010, but i'm going to keep it simple, otherwise we all know how it turns out....
I strive to be a better christian, wife, mother, and friend.
I am determined to work hard, but also to slow down and enjoy my family.

Sometimes I get caught up in everything I have to do, things that seem to stare me in the face and say "HELLO!!!"
I look around my house and see so many things that need to be done; things I had hoped to accomplish by now; things I have deadlines for; things that cannot be avoided, like the dirty cereal dishes in the kitchen, or my kids school uniforms that they cannot go to school without. It's stressful and at times irritating that I only seem to have time for those mundane chores and can't seem to get the big stuff accomplished.....

Then, I look at my 2 boys. They are growing so fast, it is like turning the pages of one of those books where you see the action taking place before your eyes. So, I mostly resolve to take time out from the chores, mundane and necessary or not, take time out from work (even if I have to edit until I fall asleep at my desk), take time out from running errands and cleaning the house to spend time with them. I often feel guilty for just sitting on the couch with them watching whatever Twilight Zone rerun happens to be on (yes, the Twilight Zone. That is a story for another time) because of all that "stuff" I have to do....
From now on I resolve to change my thinking. God gives them to us for such a short time before they grow up and move away. So, when they approach me asking me to read to them, sit down and watch a video, or go out and play in our "Nashville version of snow" I will try to just stop whatever I am doing and enjoy them while they still enjoy me.



1 comment: