You know, things happen for a reason. I strongly believe that. It is amazing to me how things happen and are reasoned, by some, as mere coincidence.... Today's topic over at Kelly's Korner for "Show us your life" is random acts of kindness. What an amazing concept, and yet how simple.
My first thought?
The church I attend here in Nashville is Hermitage Church of Christ. I love it there. It is full of such good, kind, compassionate people. They decided a couple of months ago that they were going to set a "theme" for the summer. It will also be the theme for our upcoming VBS July 11-14.
What is the theme?
Acts of Random Kindness.
Our big "kick-off" event is this Sunday. We had talked amongst the members of ways to go out and do something to help the community. Then, after the recent flooding in the area, we all decided that the best way we could show kindness to others in our area was to help the flood victims. We have had people coming by to donate all sorts of things, which we will give away to those who need it this Sunday in the form of a "free" yard sale for flood victims. Others will be going out to clean up roadside litter, pass out water to walkers on the greenway, and other random stuff.
So, imagine my surprise to see Kelly's latest topic. God really does work in mysterious ways. Ever since this theme was announced we have had people calling in to report witnessing these acts of random kindness. It is very inspiring! Since we announced the "flood relief giveaway" I have had strangers showing up at the church office (where I work part time) to donate items because they didn't know how they could help but wanted to do something. This is not just junk, either! I have seen some really nice things come through. It really makes you sit and think of things that you could do for others. It doesn't have to take much effort, but sometimes it could.
The point is to get out and do something nice for someone else. When you can do it anonymously, that is even better! Here are a few things I would love to do or see done:
- Send a package or letter to a soldier.
- Cut your neighbor's grass when they aren't home
- Anonymously leave the tip for someone eating near you in a restaurant.... maybe an elderly couple, fireman, or police officer. Better yet, offer to pick up their check!
- Share coupons or money-saving tips in the grocery store
- Just get back to basics and hold the door open for someone! Make sure your kids see you do it and maybe they will learn to do it for someone else
- Use manners, even when it is hard.... Just saying a nice "thank you" or "have a nice day" can really brighten someones day!
Then, if you are in the Nashville area, I welcome you to join us at HCC. Not just this weekend for the big event, but anytime in the future. You will love the warm and friendly atmosphere!