Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Geaux Saints!

Well folks here it is. It is the only day of the year that I will sit in front of the TV and watch football. Ok, I admit I mostly just like the commercials.

I am not what you would call a football fan (or any sport for that matter). However, my husband is. This usually leads us to seperate rooms on Sunday so that I don't have to hear the constant noise and chatter coming from the TV. This year is different.

My husband is from New Orleans....

So, as I was cooking a few pots of chili yesterday he asked me what I was going to do to get fired up for the big game. I was stumped. He and the kids both had their Saints t-shirts washed and ready to put on. But, since this isn't my thing, I wasn't sure what I would do. Finally, I decided I would put that lovely new Kitchen-Aid mixer he gave me for Christmas to some good use. I suggested that maybe I could just bake a "Saints" Cake. He loved that idea. Although, I had no idea at the time what I was getting myself into.....

The perfectionist in me could not just bake a cake and write "Go Saints." I had to go over the top. So, I got to work with my mixer and the ideas began to flow.

First I made an average sheet cake and mixed up some fresh frosting. Then I baked a second, small cake to add some flair to the top.







All the while enjoying my mixer I decided to get crazy and add some color.











8 hours later I finally finished the cake. Yeah, that's a long time in the kitchen. While I am not planning on making a regular habit or new career out of this it was actually a lot of fun. So, while I know this will do nothing to give him the outcome he is looking for today, at least I did my part!


UPDATE:

Well, maybe it was lucky after all! Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints and the entire city for that matter. They are certainly due!





1 comment: