Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Settling in

These days I am feeling a little like a fish out of water. I don't mean that to sound bad, it's just the best reference I can come up with. What I mean, is that things feel a little strange.

While I have done well at becoming familiar with my surroundings, my new world doesn't feel quite normal yet.  Again, it's not bad, just different. When you get into a routine, you seem to run on autopilot much of the time.
I am trying to reprogram that pilot!

One thing I can say for certain is that prayer is a very powerful thing.  The one thing that does not change when you move to a new place is God.  He brought us here for a reason, He will guide us where we need to be. I just have to remind myself of that occasionally; although sometimes God makes a point to remind me!

We have been here just over a week.  We have unpacked countless boxes! 
With every box I empty, I am trying to bring back a little normal. Everything from the kids' stuffed animals and favorite board games, to hanging pictures and cooking meals that are familiar to them. 
It's really amazing how a home cooked meal can make you feel secure.



It's important to let them feel like they have an active role in the process. I have let them decide where they want certain items to go.

Cameron had said for months that he wanted an "office".  
Why a 13yr old boy would want an office is beyond me, but nonetheless he was insistent.
When we found the house, we saw that one of the bedrooms had 2 closets.  One of those closets was completely open.  I knew immediately what this would be.


Yep, Cameron now has an office!  He took his time setting things up just the way he wanted them.  He set up his desk, his bookshelf, everything.  All I did was provide a light bulb for his desk lamp.
He loves it! 
And I love that.



I am happy to report that the kids have already made some new friends, and so have we.
Just one day after arriving here, we attended the "New Families Dinner" at their new school.
We are normally not crazy about going to these things, it sits just outside of our comfort zone.
However, having been in town less than 24hrs, we were tired and hungry and had no groceries to cook.  It was nice to skip the restaurant and let someone else cook for us!
We were immediately welcomed by several families!  They were so friendly and welcoming to us, we were blown away! Several of them had kids the same age as ours.  By Friday we were invited over to dinner, and the kids were blending right in, as neighbor kids made their way over to meet them.
What a blessing this was.  
The following night was a "Back to School" party, held by one of the families near the school.  It was so nice to show up and see faces we recognized. This gave us the opportunity to get to know some of the other families, and the kids had a great time!


All of this allowed one of my biggest worries to subside.  The first day of school.

I was still nervous for them, but it was a joy to hear kids calling their name when they got out of the car! 

So, are we in a "routine" yet?
No. 
It's day to day at this point.  But, we are trying. Hence, the "fish out of water" feeling.
I think, after a few weeks, it will happen, although slowly.  
I pray every day for peace, and for guidance.
That's all I can do.

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment