Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

I recommend...

So, this was such a well-received post the last time, I decided to post another one.

Today I am going to recommend a book I just finished.
Now, I read a lot. I love it! There is no way I could blog about all the books I read, it would take too long. If I did that, I would never have the time to actually read them!

But, every now and then, I know that a book I have read would be something everyone would want to know about!

Most people who know me are aware that my taste in books and movies is different than most women my age.
It's OK, i'm a big girl, I can admit it.

I DO NOT like love stories, or your typical "feel-good", mushy book. I don't take book recommendations from Oprah, sorry.
I like true-crime, mystery, and "who-dunnit" type stories. The real page-turners that keep you reading to find out the twist at the end. I like to be entertained when I read, and have a break from reality, etc.

But, occasionally I will read something that interests me that could somewhat fall into that "mushy" category. Sort of.

The book I am talking about is called "Heaven is for Real". It is a true story, written by the father of a little boy who became very sick, very quickly, and while in surgery experienced Heaven for (in earthly time) a few brief moments. To him it lasted longer and he had some amazing stories to tell.




This child was only 3 1/2 years old when this happened to him. In the book he talks about things that a child that age would have no way of knowing on his own.

I had tried several times to get this book from the library, but there were about 150 people on the waiting list in front of me! No way could I wait that long!

So, I ordered it from Amazon (it was only about $9).

It is one of the most amazing and wonderful books I have ever picked up! It was not long, only about 165 pages, but I could not put it down.

I had read the entire book in less than 24 hours!
Trust me, this is one book you will want to get right away! Even if you do not read a lot, or if you say you don't "have time" for it. It won't take you long, you can read it with your morning coffee or while you eat your lunch.

If you do, post a comment and let me know what you thought!!


2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book for months and have been meaning to get on the library's waiting list for it! Maybe by the time I get through some other books (and actually have time AND energy to read more than a page without zonking at night) the waiting list at the library will have dwindled. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicoll,
    You will absolutely LOVE this book!! It was worth the wait. I have loaned it to my mom, but when she is done I can let you borrow it!
    I started reading for a few minutes with my breakfast in the morning so that I wouldn't keep falling asleep every time I picked up a book. It's working so far....
    :)

    ReplyDelete