Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remember....

Today has been a day of remembering for me.

I know, that seems like an obvious statement right?

Of course the first thing on my mind today was the same thing on most American's minds. You can't get away from it.


The historic news of how the Navy Seals went in, fought, and eventually killed the world's most sought after terrorist is unforgettable.

Just like 9/11 I will never forget the moment when I heard the news. It made me remember those days right after the attacks, and how the news coverage was constant and overwhelming but I couldn't pull myself away. There was always the thought that if I walked away or turned it off, something else horrible would happen. Hard to believe it has been ten years.

At least we got him! I want to say a very BIG THANK YOU to our amazing military. They do such a wonderful, selfless, courageous job every day. Their performance on this mission was flawless. They came away completely unhurt, having nailed the bad guy, and gained a wealth of data and intelligence in the process. Way to go guys!


The other thing I keep thinking about today is the way my house looked exactly a year ago.
As was the case last year with an incident in New York, Nashville has gotten lost in the shuffle behind all the major news coverage today (Not that I blame them, I know getting Bin Laden was a much bigger story in the grand scheme of things.)


Today marks exactly one year since the big flood, May 3, 2010. It actually began before that on May 2, but things became especially bad on May 3rd when the dams were released to relieve the pressure and many areas of Nashville were submerged.

I was one of them.


My children's school, Donelson Christian Academy was badly flooded, as well as downtown and many other areas.


We have come a long way since that day and I am so thankful for it. I really think we have become a better place because of it. I can't speak for all of Nashville, but for myself and what I have seen from the school things couldn't be better!

So, despite the fact that I am home sick today (strep throat, yuck!) I have been extremely thankful. These 2 events "flooding" to mind on the same day was a little overwhelming, yet proved once again how good God is. He always makes something good come from something bad.

My heart and prayers remain with those who lost loved ones on 9/11, may they finally feel some bit of relief and closure.

Or at least something close.

No comments:

Post a Comment